Friday, October 31, 2008

Lesson 3: Menu

Here are the menu and my initial thoughts for Lesson 3 from page 16:

 

Lesson 3

 

 

Oeufs a la Tripe

GRATIN OF HARD-BOILED EGGS

___

Rouelles de Veau Bourgeoise

VEAL SHANKS WITH PEARL ONIONS AND MUSHROOMS

___

Mousse au Chocolat aux Noisettes et au Whisky

CHOCOLATE MOUSSE WITH HAZELNUTS AND WHISKY

 


Looking at the menu, I am excited to again cook veal; knowing that I had already purchased the veal shanks and successfully overcome my fear of messing it up in Lesson 2.  

I am sceptical about the Gratin of Hard-Boiled Eggs.  My first thought is that it will be bland and flavorless, too much egg and not much else.  The great thing is that you never know until you try something whether you like it or not. This could be a recipe that far exceeds my expectations...I am not so sure though.

My wife made it clear that she was not going to have anything to do with the veal...she didn't like the veal scallops in Lesson 2, she doesn't like the idea of where the meat comes from, and she doesn't like any meat that has a bone...definitely not a Nose to Tail kind of eater.

She isn't going to eat the veal, but I knew for sure that she would be eating all of the Chocolate Mousse that I could make. She is looking forward to this part of the meal.

Looking forward to Lesson 3!

3 comments:

Ryan said...

While I can understand the concern about veal's origins, no bone?! Keep working on her though, I managed to convince my wife to eat lamb brains.

When your wife smells how awesome your food is, she might just change her mind. :)

Ryan
www.nosetotailathome.com

Liz T. said...

Hey, lamb brains don't have a bone. Technically, she should go for that, right, Mark?
:)

Mark Palmerston said...

Liz, oh how I love your thought process and reasoning...and boy will that one never work for my wife! I am sure she will try many new things, and I could only dream of the changes that Ryan talks about. We shall see.